The Fertility Carousel

Reaching for the brass ring on the fertility carousel (again!). (Because I already caught the brass ring on the infertility carousel and I want to get rid of it!) Two years of trying to conceive, but I finally got baby E. Now we begin going around and around again. Infertility sucks.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Feb 21 Update

Once again I fell off the blogging wagon… sorry about that.

My Feb 21 ultrasound went well. The baby is measuring just as it should. We had this one recorded too, so it's all on videotape. I did get some pictures of the baby printed out, but honestly these are the worst ones ever. I can barely tell what they are and I was there when they were taken! This tech was the lousiest photographer yet. Oh well.

I took the 1-hr glucose test that day too. I just called the nurse and she said that they only call if the results are abnormal - but my OB is running behind on her charts, so she can't say for sure if my test was ok. But if I don't here from them by the end of the week, then it should be fine. OK, I can live with that.

I was also able to ask my OB some of the questions that you're apparently supposed to ask before you choose an OB (better late than never, right?). So I asked about her c-section rate and her thoughts on episiotomies. She said that she thought her rate was kind of high - 30% - BUT, that's because she has a lot of high risk patients. And she pointed out that it's a lot lower than the hospital's overall rate, which is over 40%. She said that there's no reason to think I would need one.

But here's the best news… she does not do routine episiotomies. The idea of an episiotomy was really making me nervous, so I was very glad to hear it. She said that there can be a medical need for one, but that she probably does about 2 per year! 2??!? Wow. OK, I can definitely live with that.

I also told her that I was thinking about natural childbirth but wasn't certain. She said whatever I wanted was fine (But I realize that my statement was broad and vague and her answer was vague, but good enough for now.)

Now I just need to decide what questions to ask next time. Any suggestions?  Rob and I started putting together a birth plan, but it was really hard to do! If I go back and read it I'm sure I can come up with many more things to ask. And also, for some things I wanted to wait until we had the childbirth class at the hospital because just learning their policies may clear up some questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Site Counter