The Fertility Carousel

Reaching for the brass ring on the fertility carousel (again!). (Because I already caught the brass ring on the infertility carousel and I want to get rid of it!) Two years of trying to conceive, but I finally got baby E. Now we begin going around and around again. Infertility sucks.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Hearing the heartbeat!

I had my 2nd OB appointment! Rob went with me, I was so glad he could get the time off to go! We heard the heartbeat! And then we had an external ultrasound - apparently I won't get any more "wandings". Also did a well-woman exam which was as fun as always (and confused the heck out of the billing lady for some reason, she couldn't grasp that this was a pregnancy visit AND a well-woman visit. whatever)

I haven't scanned in the ultrasound yet, but it looks more like a baby than any ultrasound so far! And, I have a special treat - we recorded the heartbeat!! I couldn't edit the recording, but you can hear the heartbeat best at 1:22 on the recording. You can barely hear it once before that and then towards the end (4:58) you can hear it again for a bit longer, but it's softer. The heart beat was at 158 which is good.

We were also offered genetic testing. I've already had a blood test to check for cystic fibrosis - I'm not a carrier, so we're clear there. I could have had a first-trimester screen, which is a blood test plus an ultrasound, but it would have had to be done this week, and I just couldn't make the decision and make the appointment all in one day. So the only option now is a Quad Screen, which is done between 16 and 18 weeks. The test checks for spina bifida and Down's syndrome. Oh, and it's just a blood test and would basically let us know if we needed to do an amnio later. I don't have to do it, and I'm not sure if I will, but I might.

On a brighter note...

I think I'm starting to show - or rather I would be showing if I didn't have so much belly fat :p What I've realized is that when I suck in my gut, the bottom part doesn't move in. I think the lack of squishiness is why some of my pants aren't fitting anymore. Yes, yes, I realize that they don't fit anymore because there's a baby growing in there, but really, the baby is teeny-tiny and I've only gained 3 pounds, which really doesn't seem like enough to make my pants not fit (especially considering that I don't wear tight, form-fitting clothes to start with). Anyway, this weekend, I snagged a bunch of maternity clothes from my best friend and then I went shopping and bought another pair of maternity pants. AND, I'm actually wearing them at work today!! I don't know why this is so exciting, but it makes me grin. I was telling R this morning that I have that "Oh my gosh I'm pregnant!" feeling all over again. I think it's from the combination of hearing the heartbeat and wearing maternity pants :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Shop Girl said...

I'd be grinning too if I were in your shoes :) Sounds like things are moving along swimmingly!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

I just found your site. We're only a week apart! How exciting!!! I just had an ultra sound yesterday, posted the pics on my site.

could-it-be.blogspot.com

We tried for almost 2 years after an early miscarriage. I'm still very nervous, but SO excited!!

Congrats!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you OK Jena? Why have this blog if you don't post on it????

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Site Counter