The Fertility Carousel

Reaching for the brass ring on the fertility carousel (again!). (Because I already caught the brass ring on the infertility carousel and I want to get rid of it!) Two years of trying to conceive, but I finally got baby E. Now we begin going around and around again. Infertility sucks.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

ultrasound #2

I had my second ultrasound on Monday at 5w4d! Pretty fast, huh?

The gestational sac is much bigger. You can see the yolk sac and the embryo inside it (the yolk sac is higher up, the arrow is pointing to the baby). The doctor could see the fetal pole, but you can't see it in the picture. She said that everything looked good!

Next ultrasound is this Friday (two per week until we see a hearbeat, then one per week).

** Special note to my perhaps "non-blog-savvy" relatives - you can leave a comment by clicking "comments" at the bottom of the post. I've changed the settings so you don’t need to register with blogger. - love, j

3 Comments:

Blogger Emmie said...

Wow--your second ultrasound already? I'm so jealous! Glad things are looking good.

Do you get confused at all with how the progress of the embryo is dated/measured? I'm so lost. For example, I saw heartbeats when I was technically 6w2d along, but the sacs only measured 5w4d. Since you're literally at 5w4d, did they they measure the sacs and tell you how far along they were measuring?

It was especially weird to me because I thought the embryos (and I) would have to be further along to see heartbeats, say 7 weeks. I did sorta ask the doctor but basically worded it as--is this normal? The simple answer that everything measured was in the range of normal didn't really help explain it.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Jena said...

Hi Emmie -

She didn't say what it measured, but the sac was noticeably larger on the second scan.

We're hoping to see a heartbeat on Friday or early next week. I think that seeing a heartbeat at 6 weeks is normal, but only visable by internal ultrasound.

I'll be sure to ask her about the measurements on Friday.... but I'm wondering, since they're really just measuring the sac, not the embryo, maybe that's why measuring a little bit small doesn't matter right now?

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not that we are not "blog-savvy" it's our thought that you should be getting more rest and back off on this strenuous typing activity!!!!!!!!!!!

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Site Counter