The Fertility Carousel

Reaching for the brass ring on the fertility carousel (again!). (Because I already caught the brass ring on the infertility carousel and I want to get rid of it!) Two years of trying to conceive, but I finally got baby E. Now we begin going around and around again. Infertility sucks.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

IUI

So today I had an IUI.

I was really worried that it would be like the HSG test (a little cerivcal stenosis is a terribly painful thing!). But it wasn't. It was quick and easy once we got in there.

We decided that Rob should "do his duty" up at the office rather than at home since we'd be cutting it close to get in there on time. I'm glad we did because we ended up getting there early - and the office wasn't open yet. So what if we'd done it at home and still gotten there early?? I would have been in tears crying over a cup of dying sperm, that's what! Thank goodness it didn't come to that.

So, Rob's duty done, we had an hour to kill so we got some chai's and went cruising around Tomball. No, there's not much to see in Tomball. Yes, it was a horrible waste of gas. But so what? It calms me to drive I think.

Anyway, Rob provided us with 31,000,000 good swimmers. WOW! Good job, love! If you don't think that's impressive, read this:

From Fertilty Plus

A count above one million washed appears necessary for success, with a significant reduction in pregnancy rates when the inseminated is count is lower than 5-10 million (in other words, in most cases one should consider 5 million a lower limit for success, 10 million for cost-effective). Higher success rates are with washed counts over 20-30 million, while increasing counts over 50 million did not appear to offer advantage.

So! What do you think about that?

Anyway, we go back in Monday morning for a second IUI.

My one doubt/question is that I've read at the Fertility Plus website that most IUIs are done 24-48 hours after the HCG trigger shot. But mine was done less than 12 hours later.... of course the second one will be within that window, but the best shot of sperm went first didn't it? (Assuming that it takes 3 days for the swimmers to really recharge.)

But wait!!! Breaking news! I've just found a study that says IUIs at 12 hours and 34 hours produce the best odds. Woohoo!

Anyway, you can probably see my emotions are all over the place.

Wish me luck if anyone reads this!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Site Counter