The Fertility Carousel

Reaching for the brass ring on the fertility carousel (again!). (Because I already caught the brass ring on the infertility carousel and I want to get rid of it!) Two years of trying to conceive, but I finally got baby E. Now we begin going around and around again. Infertility sucks.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

I had my OB appointment on Friday.

I gained 4 lbs in the last 2 weeks, bringing my total up to 13 lbs. So that's one less worry.

But my blood pressure was up. And I had protein in my urine. And my fingers and toes have been swelling...

which are all signs of preeclampsia.

Not to say that I have preeclampisa - but it's something "we're keeping an eye on", according to the doctor. (well, at least that's what the doctor said, but according to Dr. Google high blood pressure + protein = preeclampsia)

Not sure what preeclampsia is? "Preeclampsia and other hypertensive disorders of pregnancy are a leading global cause of maternal and infant illness and death."

And the best way (really the only way) to end preeclampsia? Have the baby.

The good news is that the later you develop preeclampsia, the less severe it tends to be. If you get it earlier, the baby tends to be small. (My baby is still measuring large, so yeah! Go baby go!)

I didn't realize how serious the increase in my blood pressure was until the doctor said, "... I'm not saying you can't go to work..." - ACK! What? Anyway, the gist of it is that I'm supposed to go to work and that's about it. No shopping, no running errands, put my feet up and rest as much as possible. "Don't do anything you don't absolutely have to do."

I need to make an appointment for an ultrasound this week if they can squeeze me in. I go back to the doctor on Friday - it's time for weekly appointments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Site Counter