The Fertility Carousel

Reaching for the brass ring on the fertility carousel (again!). (Because I already caught the brass ring on the infertility carousel and I want to get rid of it!) Two years of trying to conceive, but I finally got baby E. Now we begin going around and around again. Infertility sucks.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

quick update


A quick update since I've been chastized for not updating my blog (gee thanks dad.)

We've been busy taking classes - the last two Sunday's we've been taking "Prepared Childbirth" at the hospital. And this past Saturday we took a breastfeeding class as well (yes, R went too, all the guys did, they need to know what's supposed to be going on too).

After the first childbirth class, I was quite upset because the teacher told us that it is hospital policy that every woman have an en.ema when admitted. I'd heard that this was pretty outdated and that it just wasn't done any more, but after hearing this I started doing more research. Not only could I not find many modern birth stories where an en.ema had been administered, I found out that the World Health Organization has stated that this should NOT be a routine procedure since 1985. Yes, for THE LAST 27 YEARS. And there are still people out there doing it routinely. Quite prepared to argue and be a pest in class over this little issue, I wasn't sure if I was relieved or not to find that we had a different teacher for the second half of class. When she mentioned in passing that routine shaving, en.emas, and epidurals were all pretty much a thing of the past, I told her what the last teacher had said. She was surprised to hear it. She said it was not hospital policy, though perhaps it was part of the standing orders of the doctor for whom the first teacher worked. And to ask my doctor what her standing orders are. Don't worry, I will. I've got enough to worry about trying to squeeze out a baby without thinking about someone messing with my behind. (The second teacher also pointed out that most women will end up making a little mess on the table even if they've had an en.ema, said not to worry about it, the nurse will have it cleaned up in a jiffy.)

Anyway, after our Saturday class, we went to A Woman's  Work, which is a specialty shop in town that sells everything to do with nursing, as well as slings and some of the cutest clothes I've ever seen (I didn't look at price tags on the clothes though, I'm sure they were outrageous). But the reason we went was to get me a nursing bra.

It's recommended to have one ready to go before the baby comes, but not to stock up on them because you can't be sure of the sizing until the milk comes in. And since I have an outrageously huge "nursing facility" built onto the front of my body, I was a little worried about being able to find something in my size.  (Because you see, even those bras you see at Walmart that look SO HUGE (you know the ones I mean, the ones where you think, dear god, who wears those things?!) Even those are many sizes too small for my pre-pg size, let alone my new and "improved" size) Even shopping online I didn't seem many options in my size, so that made me really worried. BUT the good news is that the specialty store did have a wide range of bizarre sizes, including mine (and even some that were too big - what a great feeling!) So I bought one and there's one less thing to worry about getting done before the baby comes.

Got the car seat installed too. It freaks me out to see it back there every time I get in the car.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Site Counter